Sunday, September 11, 2005

5 ridiculous but loveable things. . .

To curtail the impression that I am some sort of anti-NoCal curmudgeon, I thought I'd throw out a few things that, despite being totally ridiculous, I really love about the Bay Area.

5) The port of Oakland. It's ghetto, it's industrial, it's a bunch of oversized metal structures marring an otherwise picturesque view of the San Francisco Bay, but I love it. At night, the whole area has this beautiful eerie glow and the metal structures look like post-modern Trojan Horses
4) The ubiquity of soy products and other vegetarian-friendly food options. No where else would a waitress ask you if you wanted milk, yogurt, plain or vanilla soy milk with your granola.
3) The word "hella." (Or, if you're really ghetto, "hecka.") It's the go anywhere, use anytime word. Seriously, it's even better than "wicked."
2) Spring comes in February, and September and October are the real summer. (A warning to tourists: if you're coming in June, July or August, you won't be needing that bathing suit or the shorts. Try packing a sweater, a fleece and a hat instead.)
1) Chirping and ticking pedestrian crosswalks. I'm so well trained now that it would never even occur to me to TRY to cross the street until I hear the bird start chirping, and if it never started . . . well, I'd probably stand on the street corner all night.

So there you have it. At least 5 good things about the Bay Area. Maybe I could even come up with more. . . .

0 comments: