Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The best pick up line I've ever heard

Berkeley (especially near campus) is an interesting place . . . . between the street people parked every couple of feet asking for change and the spiky-haired/pierced hipster students oblivously talking on their cell phones and not watching where they are going, walking up Telegraph Avenue can feel like a venture onto a Marine Corps obstacle course.

I have the good fortune of taking a class at UC Berkeley this semester, so every week, I get to witness this bizarre mix of humanity up close. Yesterday, as I was rushing to class--much later than usual and having parked about a million miles away in the only available parking space in all of Berkeley--I got my best dose to date of what exactly makes Berkeley so great. Hustling my way up the street toward campus, a young guy caught my eye. He could have been a street person, or maybe he was just some pierced punk student loitering on the street scowling at tourists. When he saw me, however, the scowl became a smile and he said "Hey! If I can make enough money tonight, can I take you out on a date later?"

Ah Berkeley, where even the street people are charming.

2 comments:

North Maple said...

Hey Claire! In case you don't recognize in my "North Maple" form, this is one of you friendly San Diego road trip companions. I'm back at law school, and I found your blog through Carrie's. I enjoyed reading your posts and your description of Telegraph made me a tiny bit nostalgic. Hope all is well with you!

Mark De Voto said...

Thanks friend.

In response to your question, I actually just put something up about that. The answer is that these thoughts have nothing whatsoever to do with my academic work (I could only wish for discussion of such topics in my classes), but are actually coming out of my own, immediate, inner experience. So it has more to do with witnessing than thoughtless hypothesizing...

Anyway, I'm glad you've taken an interest! Tell your friends! I want all the input I can get -- The whole thing is, to confirm your hunch, the early rumblings of my dissertation, which is due in approximately two and a half years.

P.S. ... I share north maple's sentiments: Nostalgic for Cali too.