Thursday, December 21, 2006

Welcome Home

So I'm home in Colorado for the holidays right now. Within 12 hours of my arrival in the state, nearly a foot of snow was dumped on Colorado Springs (with even more in Denver and other parts of the state) in what has been called one of the 5 worst blizzards of all time. It was so bad that Denver International Airport is SHUT DOWN, both the North-South and East-West freeways in the state have been completely closed, and Governor Owens has declared a state of emergency and called in the National Guard to help rescue and evacuate people stuck in their cars.

While it'll be nice to have a white CHristmas (assuming, that is, that any of it lasts until Monday) it has reinforced for me how much I don't really care for snow. I certainly don't care for snow enough to need to have some in the winter. I definitely don't care for snow enough to want to move back to a place like Colorado (or Boston) just to see it. Rainy and (semi-)cold is crappy, but I can accept it as a substitute for snow any day.

Also, I just want to note that my bad flight karma has finally (apparently--knock on some serious wood) broken. For the first time in years, I am not the person stranded in the airport without a flight home. And while I really feel terrible for all the people who are stranded and might not make it home for the holidays, I am grateful that for once, I--along with my luggage--safely made it home. And on time, no less.

Also, just a side note: my parents adopted yet another dog last year. His name is Sammy. He's cute enough, I guess, although kind of lacking in personality. The only thing of note about him is that he is afraid of the dark. He will literally not go outside into the yard after the sun sets. If the rest of the family goes out into the guest house (yeah, there's a guest house. I know it sounds pretentious) to watch movies, he will not follow. If he has to pee, he just won't. He'll hold it until daylight. Apparently, the dog has quite the capacity for holding it.

1 comments:

M!r&a said...

Glad you made it to CO before the snow hit! Now, let's just hope that you can make it back to CA without difficulties, so I can see you!