Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The weekend rundown

Because I'm a lazy re-capper, this is actually a rundown of highlights from last weekend. I'll get to this weekend eventually.

Finally feeling at least mostly human after being so sick, I decided to hang out with Josh on Friday night.

We started out with yummy Italian dinner at a place near Josh's apartment--it's a perk of living in North Beach, if you can put up with the strip clubs and all the frat boys. We had a drunken (but fairly well behaved) bachelorette party on one side of us, and a really dysfunctional couple on the other side. I've never seen two people look so miserable and bored with each other in my life. The couple said all of twenty words to each other the whole night, and at least the woman spent the rest of the evening eavesdropping on our conversation.

I saw this as the perfect opportunity to begin talking about things that I might have otherwise deemed inappropriate for public conversation, such as recounting for Josh an assignment a theatre professor gave us that involved me reading Fetish magazine and writing a play about people who got turned on by watching other people blow up and pop balloons.

Anyway. The couple was dysfunctional and we were highly entertained by that. Made me think maybe it's good to be single afterall.

Then we made the rounds of the bars in North Beach. We're talking extensive tour of duty rounds, here. And for all of our troubles, neither of us saw anyone we thought was even remotely worth trying to pick up.

After realizing that the North Beach bar scene was lame, I decided to make my way home on the Night Owl Bus. I found myself squashed between a guy having hot flashes who was on the verge of throwing up all over himself and me, and a white woman who talked the whole way back to the East Bay about how she had grown up in Saudi Arabia and thus didn't know how to pronounce words like "pedestrian" and how she felt that had really hindered her ability to get ahead in this country.

I silently prayed that they would both get off the bus soon. My prayer was answered, and an alcoholic (by his own admission) Kenyan immigrant construction worker who lived with his two kids and his 'baby mama' sat down next to me and tried to get my phone number.

I've never been so happy to get off a bus.

0 comments: