Monday, November 06, 2006

A Pick Up Line to Avoid

The following conversation took place in Van Cleef's, a bar in downtown Oakland, last night while I was trying to get drinks for me and the friend I met up with there.

I walk up to the bar. To my right, about a foot and half away, is a slightly shady-looking guy. The bartender is busy with someone else, and so I'm waiting patiently. Then, out of nowhere:

Slighly shady-looking guy: Hey! Are you wearing perfume?

Me, slightly weirded out: Um, yes.

SS-LG: Well it smells really good.

Me, more weirded out: Wow. I didn't realize it was that strong.

SS-LG: Oh, it's not. I just have a really good olfactory sense.

Me, really creeped out as I slide a few more feet down the bar, away from this guy: Yeah. I'm going to order my drinks now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

claire, keep these crazy bar/pickup stories coming, I love em. Also, I'm so nostalgic for SF stairway hikes, they're so great. Corona Heights is a good one too.

Anonymous said...

Anyone who uses "olfactory" in every day speech deserves a chance, Claire . . . when do you leave for Argentina? Soon? You must think of me on the 22nd when I battle the GRE, I'm sure you'll be soaking up Argentine life . . . chao chao

Claire said...

Yeah, it was just a little too "Dwight" from The Office for me. Although props for knowing what the scientific name for your sense of smell is. I guess.