Saturday, November 04, 2006

San Francisco, Tourist Style--Part I

It occured to me recently that I have lived in the Bay Area for more than 4 years, but there are still tons of areas I've never seen or explored. Maybe it's that the odds are about 50/50 that I'll be leaving by the end of the year, and maybe it's just that I recently got VIA Magazine (the travel magazine put out by AAA) and it got me inspired, but I decided it was time to do a little more wandering around San Francisco this weekend.

I broke out a book I bought a couple years ago, called Stairway Walks of San Francisco, and chose an area to explore. Today, I chose Telegraph Hill, Russian Hill, North Beach and Chinatown. This was my route:


The highlights of my day included the Filbert St. stairs: a crazy, wild garden; the wooden plank "streets"; and the parrots. I remember when that movie The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill came out last year. I never really considered that there were actually tropical parrots hanging out in the middle of San Francisco. Or at least I didn't consider that there might be hundreds of them. But there are. And they all live right here, in and around the garden on Filbert Street. They're all bright green and really loud and pretty much awesome. I tried to take a picture but I couldn't get close enough for you to tell that they were parrots.

Darrell "Street" in the middle of the Filbert St. Stairs

Filbert St. Stairs, where the parrots live

Coit Tower. Because every great city needs a phallic object for tourists to visit.

Other highlights? Macondray Lane. An ex-whatever we want to call him of mine claimed this as his favorite street in San Francisco, and I think it's worthy of a run for that title. On Russian hill, Macondray Lane is this little windy pedestrian-only path that cuts between rows of townhouses and it's all jungly and dark and mysterious. Very cool.

Macondray Lane

More phallic structures: the TransAmerica building

Oh, and I also tried Durian gelato in Chinatown. For those not familiar with durian, I'm told that it is a nasty, NASTY-smelling fruit very popular in Thailand. I've never had or even smelled durian, but given that my durian gelato smelled and tasted like sugary poo, I'm gonna guess that plain-old durain probably smells and tastes like. . . well, plain-old poo.

0 comments: