Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The best "dysfunctional break-up" song ever

So I've moved on to the Anti-Love CD that my friend Erin made. I think the genius of the mix is kind of lost on me today: I'm not really in the mood for hating on love. That said, however, I did just finish listening to what might be the most hillarious and brilliant song about a break-up ever, so I thought I'd share the lyrics. The song is called "No Children," by the Mountain Goats (which, despite the deceptively plural title, is actually only one guy.) Here are the lyrics:

I hope that our few remaining friends give up on trying to save us. I hope we come up with a fail-safe plot to piss off the dumb few who forgave us. I hope the fences we mended, fall down beneath their own weight, and I hope we hang on past the last exit, I hope it's already too late.

And I hope the junk yard a few blocks from here someday burns down. And I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away and I never come back to this town again.

In my life, I hope I lie, and tell everyone you were a good wife, and I hope you die, I hope we both die.

I hope I cut myself shaving tomorrow, I hope it bleeds all day long. Our friends say it's darkest before the sun rises, but we're pretty sure they're all wrong. I hope it stays dark forever, I hope the worst isn't over. And I hope you blink before I do, and I hope I never get sober.

And I hope when you think of me years down the line, you can't find one good thing to say, and I'd hope that if I found the strength to walk out, you'd stay the hell out of my way!

I am drowning. There is no sign of land. You are coming down with me--hand in unloveable hand. And I hope you die. I hope we both die.

But to really appreciate how funny it is, you have to imagine these lyrics being set to a kind of twangy, upbeat guitar with maybe a little harmonica. Or, even better, you could just listen to the song.

0 comments: