Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Vocabulary Expansion

I have a subscription to "Word of the Day," and below are two of the latest words that I've been sent. These are real words, I swear. I can't help but think that Word of the Day is either scraping the bottom of the barrel for words, or it's been taken over by a pseudo-intellectual snotty-pants whose only method for impressing women is by using words they don't understand.

Ululate: to howl, as a wolf or a dog; to wail; as "ululating jackals"

I can appreciate wanting to mix up your word choice, but seriously, who is ever going to use the phrase "ululating jackals?"

Crapulous: suffering the effects of, or derived from gross intemperance (e.g. binge drinking); as "a crapulous stomach"

I may never use the word ululate, but crapulous is becoming the new favorite word of my vocabulary. CRAPULOUS! How can you not want to say that?

0 comments: