Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Musical choices

Listening to: the "Broken Love" mix CD that my friend Erin created as part of a set of Love CDs a couple years ago. It seems fitting today. Later I'll move on to the Anti-Love CD, but I think I need to work up to that. For right now, I'm pretty content just to listen to the Dresden Doll's "The Jeep Song," Cake's "I Will Survive" and Bob Hillman's "Greenland" on repeat. If you haven't heard these songs (and the odds are pretty good that you wouldn't have heard the first or the last) you should look them up and take a listen. A nice combination of funny, angry, sad, smart and ironic. Perfect.

Seriously, here are sample lyrics: "Everywhere I look I see your '96 Jeep Cherokee. . . .With every jeep I see, my broken heart still skips a beat. I guess it's just my stupid luck that all of Boston drives the same black fucking truck." And: "No more waiting till your icecream melts in the high desert heat of Texas. I've got an imitation seal skin coat and a one way ticket to Greenland. I'm going to live on the world's largest island where the icecap is 7 kilometers thick. You're twice as cold (twice as cold, twice as cold) as Greenland." God, to be a songwriter like that.

1 comments:

M!r&a said...

Just wanted to let you know that I also aspire to be such a songwriter. I read your post aloud to one of my coworkers, I loved the lyrics so much. Ohhhh, break up songs, how I love 'em.