Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Romance on the Bay Bridge

I got proposed to while paying my toll to get on the Bay Bridge last week.

As I reached out to hand the tollbooth guy my money, he said "Oh, you are so beautiful! Are you married?"

A little taken aback, I replied, "Um, no."

"Well, you must at least have a boyfriend."

"Um, yes. Yes I do," I said.

(NOTE: This is a bold-faced lie. I have finally learned, after many years of awkward encounters, that when weird strangers are hitting on you, the correct answer to this question is always yes, regardless of the truth.)

"Well is he going to marry you?" the tollbooth guy asked. "Because I would marry you, and buy you a house and you would live very comfortably. You just remember, if he won't marry you, you always have me."

"Thank you," I said. "That's very nice. Can I have my change, please?"

And then, proposal and change in hand, I was on my way.

0 comments: