Friday, February 24, 2006

Weird things that happened to me today

1) As I was riding BART this afternoon, I noticed some graffiti on the side of a building that said "JESUS SAVES YOU FROM HELL." I kid you not.

2) I went to hang out a brewery this evening. And by brewery, I really mean large open parking lot adjacent to the back of a warehouse that can only be accessed by walking through the Walmart/Home Depot parking lot and squeezing around a chain link fence and jockeying yor way through the crowd of big, burly Teamsters.

3) At said "brewery", my friend Miranda and I managed to meet the only three militant members of the teacher's union, oh, probably in the world. We had to toast unions at least 7 times. And we were only talking for about a half an hour. It was so random and weird though. This is what happens when you move away from the East Coast and and they finally manage to break through your reserve: you become one of those chatty people who talks to everyone. I have become that person. One little comment about stocking up on tokens for beer and suddenly you're Andrew and George and Don's best friends and you're making plans to hang out in San Lorenzo (which, for those of you who didn't know--and I imagine that would be all of you--is on the 880 corridor in between San Leandro and Hayward. Apparently half of it got annexed away by San Leandro back in the day, but it still has two elementary schools of its own, dammit!)

4 comments:

M!r&a said...

I thought he said there were 2 HIGH SCHOOLS in San Lorenzo!?! What a strange night...

Claire said...

Is it weird to comment on your own blog?

Maybe he did say two high schools. Eitehr way, he seemed really proud of it.

M!r&a said...

So very true...are you inviting them to the shin-dig? Embrace the awkward, Claire, Embrace the awkward!

Claire said...

I already invited Andrew, but he's gonna be in France. Random. I don't really think it's Don's scene, but I guess I could invite George. . . .The real question, however is whether or not I invite The Quoter. Now that would be awkward!