Monday, February 27, 2006

A Case in Point of Excessive West Coast Friendliness

Yesterday, my friend Miranda and I (www.mediocrityisnotsobad.blogspot.com) were standing in line at the Parkway Theatre to buy tickets to watch the Oscars there next Sunday. It was cold. It was rainy. There were A LOT of people in the line in front of us.

As we stood there waiting for them to start selling tickets, a man walked around the corner and started shaking people's hands. I didn't think much of it until he reached us.

"Hi," he said, extending his hand out to me. "I'm Connie. I'm up at the front of the line, waiting to buy tickets, and I thought since we're all going to be watching the Oscars together next weekend, I'd come by and introduce myself. That way when you see me next week, we'll already know each other and we can all be friends."

There was a time when I would have assumed that anyone who would just start up a conversation with me in a line must be a) crazy; b) trying to scam me; or c) trying to pick me up. This guy, while probably a little bit off, was none of the above. As far as I can tell, he was just. . . .friendly. Which for me just makes the whole thing stranger.

Anyway, we chatted about the tuxedo he was going to sport and the party dresses and tiaras that Miranda and I are considering wearing, and then he continued to make his way through the line. Miranda and I started giggling, knowing that this is what makes California so great. (Or so weird, depending on your perspective.)

But I have to say, I am excited that when I show up at the Parkway next Sunday, I will have one friend already waiting for me there. Connie, I'll be looking for ya!

0 comments: